Join me in love and laughter, adventure and disaster on the road to perfect pie.

Monday, May 3, 2010

May 2 Book Club Recipes!

On May 2nd, 10 fab ladies gathered at our house for a book club discussion of My Life in France, by Julia Child. What a wonderful time! In the comments section you can see the recipes from the ladies who brough things to share as part of the pot luck. Stay tuned for more great recipes from this and future book club events!

4 comments:

Christine said...

Here is a link to the recipe for the quiche. As I mentioned, I cheated on the crust and used a Pillsbury refridgerated pie crust. Also, this recipe actually yields 2 quiches, so if you only want 1 be sure to cut everything in half.

http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/bacon-leek-quiche-recipe

Kristine said...

Hi everyone! I made this last weekend for Mother's Day and it was a hit! I didn't have the 10 inch tart pan that the recipe actually calls for (and I wasn't making two), so I adjusted the recipe a bit. Here's what I did (This is what I would use when making one quiche with a deep dish pie crust)

2 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
1 1/2 stick(s) cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup(s) ice water
3 tablespoon(s) ice water

12 oz. thickly sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 large leeks, white and tender green parts only thinly sliced
1 teaspoon(s) chopped thyme leaves
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
6 ounce(s) cave-aged Gruyère cheese, shredded
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream or half-and-half

Follow the other instructions as is, and I only had to bake the quiche another 5 min or so before it was done. Also, if you are using a premade pie crust, try just cooking the crust for 20 min with the beans and tin foil to make sure the crust doesn't bubble up. That was plenty of time.

Kristine said...

Here is Heather's contribution - a Baked Oatmeal dish. She added her notes on how to make the dish vegan, if you are so inclined. Enjoy!

BAKED OATMEAL
Copied from the Simply in Season cookbook page 294, www.simplyinseason.org, with Heather’s modifications in parenthesis

Serves 3-4

INGREDIENTS:
• 2 cups rolled oats
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/3 cup raisins (or other dried fruit – I love using cranberries, and I have a co-worker who uses frozen blueberries or dried apricots)
• 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts (or other nuts – I love using chopped almonds with dried cranberries)
• 1 cup milk (soy milk or almond milk if you want it to be vegan. Vanilla soy milk is awesome in it, if you don’t mind the extra calories and carbs.)
• ½ cup applesauce (I use unsweetened applesauce because there’s already a lot of sugar in here and unsweetened tastes just as good)
• 2 tablespoons oil (I use canola)
• 1 egg, beaten (if you want it to be vegan, see Egg Tip below)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Combine first five ingredients in a medium bowl (the dry ones)
2. Combine final four ingredients in another medium bowl. Add to oat mixture; stir well
3. Pour into greased 8 x 8 inch baking pan (I use a casserole dish with a lid for freezing*)
4. Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top
5. Serve warm with milk

Egg Tip for aspiring vegans or people wanting to try something new: “For each egg you replace, whisk 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water in a blender or food processor until the mixture is thick and creamy” (frothy, like a beaten egg). “Flaxseed is the most concentrated source of omega-3 fatty acids, so it should be a staple in your diet even if you’re not using it for baking! Always buy whole flaxseed (golden or brown) and grind it yourself using a coffee grinder (a clean one used only for flax and maybe whole spices-don’t try to use the same one as you use for grinding coffee unless you want java flax!) for best results. Once you grind it, put it into a glass container and store it in the fridge or freezer. Consume 2 teaspoons a day by adding it to a fruit smoothie, oatmeal (hooray!), cereal, soup, salad, or just eating it on its own.
-Copied from The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, the Compassionate Cook.


*I usually double the batch, bake it up and toss one of them in the freezer. That way, I’ve spent the same amount of time with double the product, and I’m set for breakfast for two weeks!

Kristine said...

Here is another one from our weekend book club!

Sausage-Sweet Potato Bake
Serves 4-6

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees

Brown in the Skillet: 1 pound bulk sausage, break up in large pieces and drain off access fat.

Arrange in a 2 qt. casserole: 1 medium raw sweet potato, peeled and sliced; 3 medium apples, peeled and sliced; browned sausage.

Combine and pour over apple, potato and sausage mix: 2 T sugar, 1 T flour, ¼ t ground cinnamon, ¼ t. salt and ½ cup water.

Cover and bake at 375 degree for 60 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until potatoes and apples are tender.
ENJOY!