Join me in love and laughter, adventure and disaster on the road to perfect pie.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Fooling Around with Banana Bread

Miss. Flirty Baker has found herself with a house full of very ripe bananas. So, per the usual, I pull out the stops and make some banana baked treat. But, with an office full of calorie watching colleagues, I wanted to make something that everyone would not only enjoy, but wouldn't be terrible for them. And shoot, if it still tastes good and I can go back for seconds, why not?

So, I'm doing some fooling with my banana bread recipe.

Today's test was taking out the butter. I substituted 6 tablespoons of unsweetened apple sauce for the 5 1/3 tablespoons of butter that my recipe calls for. And you know what? It was great! The final product actually rose well, was very moist, light and fluffy. While I missed some of the richness that the butter provided, I didn't miss the extra calories.

There are a few other variations that I'll be trying down the road - taking out the eggs and making a substitute, and maybe using Splenda for sugar. I'll try Splenda, but I do think that it changes the flavor pretty dramatically. But, you never know. I also don't really like egg substitute, so I'll keep you posted on how I work around that.

But for now, I'm pleased with the unsweetened apple sauce substitute. It's a 1 to 1 ratio when you make the substitution, so give it a try on your own favorite recipe.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kristine said...

And the comments are in! The roommates have given the banana bread an A+.