Join me in love and laughter, adventure and disaster on the road to perfect pie.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Caramelized Onions

If you have ever chatted with my mom about my cooking you have likely heard the story about one of the first cooking shows I was watching on TV - they were making caramelized onions. After the show was over, I went directly to the kitchen to try making them. No, I don't remember the show, but it sounds a lot like me still to this day.

Caramelized onions are one of my favorite things to make. They are very easy, and really add an extra umph to a variety of dishes. A couple of places I use them:


  • With steak sandwiches (arugula, borsion cheese and great french bread finish that off)

  • With a bbq chicken pizza (chicken, Gouda, fresh pineapple, good mozzarella and a sweet bbq sauce)

  • They are even great in a potato salad

  • Or just as a side for chicken or other red meat.

The trick to excellent caramelized onions is low and slow. While you could make these quick in about 20 minutes, the hour long version have a much deeper and richer flavor, making them, in this Flirty Baker's opinion, worth the wait.

Ingredients:
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs butter
1 tsp kosher salt
1 medium vidalia onion (you could use a yellow onion, but I prefer these)

Slice the onion into thick slices.
Melt the olive oil and butter together on medium to low heat. Add the onions and the salt. Cook over low heat, turning occasionally until deep brown - about 1 hour. If the onions start to crisp, turn down the heat. Seriously, cook them over low heat for an hour.

2 comments:

abby mumford said...

THANK YOU. i love caramelized onions, but the last time i tried to make them, it ended in disaster. but for the onions and me. the "low and slow" is a great direction. i shall try this one soon, i hope!

Kristine said...

Thanks for the comment! I hope that you have had a chance to give these a try in the last couple of days. How did it go? Hopefully the Caramlized Onions were as good as you hoped.