I've been making chili for over 15 years, but after seeing a recipe for a Texas style chili made with beef brisket, I wanted to see if I could do better. The results, I'm not sure. The meat was very tender, there was great heat at the back of the throat, but the flavor just wasn't as deep. I think that it might be great tomorrow, after it has sat for a little bit, but we shall see. For now, here are the steps, and I'll keep you posted on updates that are sure to come.
Ingredients
5 lbs of beef brisket, cut into 1 inch cubes, pat dry
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 yellow onions, cut into a small dice (about 2 cups)
6 garlic cloves, finely diced
2 tbs chili powder
2 tbs cumin powder
1 tbs cayenne powder
1 tbs red pepper flakes
6 whole tomatoes, cut into large sections
2 green peppers, cut into large chunks
1/2 cup strong coffee
2 15 oz. cans of light red kidney beans, drained
Toppings:
Avocado
Sour Cream
Cheddar Cheese
Directions:
Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot. Cut the meat and pat dry with paper towels (the meat will brown better if you dry the meat first). Brown all of the meat, on at least two sides in stages - removing the cooked meat, setting it aside, and then cooking the next batch (3 or 4 stages likely) - do not over crowd the pan, or you will steam the meat, rather than letting it brown.
Add the onion to the pan and cook the onion for about 5 minutes. Add the spices and garlic and cook for another minute. Add the green pepper and tomato and mix well. Add the meat and any juice back to the pot. Cover and cook for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. After 2 1/2 hours, add the 1/2 cup of strong coffee. Continue to cook for another 1 hour. Add the drained kidney beans and let the beans warm through for about 10 minutes. Serve hot with desired toppings.

No comments:
Post a Comment