Join me in love and laughter, adventure and disaster on the road to perfect pie.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bar Lola

Continuing my new restaurant adventures here in Boston, last Saturday had me stopping at Bar Lola in the Back Bay.

Highly recommended by my roommate as a great Spanish tapas bar/restaurant, Bar Lola delivers when it comes to ambiance and a great wine selection. Hidden below Comm Ave., Bar Lola must be a deep and dark location even on the brightest of days. Small intimate tables, through several smaller rooms off of the main entrance, the quiet conversation rises to a dull hum through the restaurant. With a limited beer menu, but a full selection of Spanish wine (only, so don't make the mistake I did looking for a Malbec), a stop at the bar could result in an evening just eating there.

When I got to the menu, I was a little disappointed. Coming from the empire of Jose Andres in DC, I was expecting not only tapas, but something amazing. His culinary delights have brought him to Iron Chef and one of his cooks to Top Chef this past season. Bar Lola on the other hand has a more Americanized menu, complete with mini hamburgers. Hmmm. After a couple of dishes it was quits on the food, but have I mentioned the wine?

In the summer months the patio is open, and I'm sure dining outside is a treat. Stop in, by all means, but I would expect a trip to average avenue rather than superb Spain.

www.barlola.com

No comments: