I woke up this morning and discovered that fall had arrived. Some people find the cool breeze and cloudy afternoons calling them for a final bike ride, or walk along the Charles. I find myself cooking in the kitchen.
A few days ago I picked up some lentils, without much of an idea of what I wanted to do with them. This morning it just seemed like the right day to make some Lentil Soup. Simple and hearty this soup was perfect for the first of many cool fall afternoons. I prefer this soup without the bacon, prosciutto or pancetta. It's a great vegetarian start/main with some good crusty bread.
Ingredients:
3 tbs. Olive Oil
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
3 medium celery stalks, diced
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
OPTIONAL: 2 oz. prosciutto, pancetta or bacon)
8 cups of water
2 cups of dried lentils, rinsed, picked over
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 to 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. of salt (if you use the meat, taste first, then add up to 1 tsp.)
1 tsp. ground black pepper
Heat oil in a large pot. Add and cook the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and meat (if using) and cook until soft on medium-low heat. About 5-10 minutes.
Stir in water, lentils, tomatoes and thyme. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and cook uncovered for 30-45 minutes until the lentils are tender.
Just before serving, add balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy!
Join me in love and laughter, adventure and disaster on the road to perfect pie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment