Join me in love and laughter, adventure and disaster on the road to perfect pie.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

Some people really don't enjoy the grocery store. They treat it as just another thing they need to do on a Saturday afternoon before work begins. Me, I love the grocery store. Love it. I could spend all day and hundreds of dollars on endless amounts of food. However, food does go bad, so I resist buying everything I can imagine, and instead focus on just what I need.

I'm also a bit of a grocery store pro. Like today - I walked in to Whole Foods (seriously, whole paycheck - I could spend a million dollars there) and had a picture in my head of the apricot granola bars I wanted to make (coming soon). Instead I walked in and saw butternut squash. Rarely do I know what is next to be made until I walk into the grocery store. I see an ingredient and start to wonder what might come from cooking, baking, sauteing it with other magical touches to be found by wandering around. Usually the menu takes shape as I see other things in the aisle - honeycrisp apples, fresh organic carrots, then I remember the chicken stock I've had in the freezer, sweet onions are on sale and suddenly, I'm making Butternut Squash Soup.

Ingredients:
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs butter
1 medium onion (I prefer a sweet onion), finely chopped
1 2.5 lb butternut squash, peeled, cut into cubes
2 medium apples (I love honeycrisp for this), peeled, cut into cubes
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut in half, and chopped
6 cups of chicken stock
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground sage

In a large pot, heat butter and olive oil on medium head. Add onions and saute until soft - about 5 to 7 minutes.

Add the butternut squash, apples and carrots and saute for 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1 tbs of salt and the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes or until the squash is soft.

Puree the squash, carrots, stock and apples in a potato ricer, blender or hand blender until the soup is smooth. Add the additional salt, cinnamon, ginger, pepper and sage. Stir and reheat until warm. Serve immediately.

You could also freeze this soup well for future use. Plus, it is easily adaptable for a vegetarian, so feel free to substitute.

Enjoy!

No comments: