I've always had a problem buying cookbooks. I see them, I buy them, I make one thing, and then put them aside. The pasta cookbook I picked up a few years ago qualifies in this category. But! The one recipe that I make is a gem.
Maybe I'm the only one, but I seem to have some friends with a limited personal menu. Just chicken fingers or steak or french fries. Green veggies? No thanks. Fruit? Not for them. So, before heading to a summer picnic a few years ago I found this recipe in my trusty pasta cookbook and have since have been the belle of the ball with everyone regardless if your favorite food is fried or sauteed. The best part is, you can spice it up, or keep it simple depending on who you are going to see. I also tend to make a ton of this stuff at once, so feel free to experiment with the amount of each ingredient.
Be the hero at your next summer barbecue.
Hero Pasta Salad
Ingredients
1 lb. rotini, cavatelli or other shaped pasta
1 lb. of cubed sharp provolone cheese (mild works well too - or mix them, or try some mozzarella)
12 oz. of meats - any combination of the following:
Spicy salami
Cubed ham
Pepperoni
Churizo
1 medium red onion thinly sliced
12 oz. of shredded romaine lettuce
2 large tomatoes with the seeds removed, chopped
1 large green or red pepper, cubed
Dressing:
4 tbs. olive oil or salad oil
4 tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tbs chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped (as much garlic as you would like)
1/2 tsp. dried mustard
1/2 tsp. black pepper
Cook the pasta, drain, rinse with cool water, drain and let cool.
In another bowl, combine all ingredients (leave out the lettuce and tomatoes if you are serving later), toss to combine.
Combine the dressing ingredients, cover and shake well to combine and either keep separate if serving later, or toss together with the salad.
Alternate ingredients:
You could also add a bunch of other things to the basic recipe:
Pepperonini (Tuscan peppers)
Olives
Capers
Yellow or orange tomatoes
Hard boiled egg
You could add turkey or chicken
Hot peppers
Really, anything you would add to a hero sandwich
Notes: I don't usually add the sauce until about an hour or two before we eat. The pasta salad will be good for about 36 hours once you add the sauce.
Join me in love and laughter, adventure and disaster on the road to perfect pie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment