Join me in love and laughter, adventure and disaster on the road to perfect pie.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Lemon and Rosemary Roast Chicken

Over the years I've made lots of chicken. Generally, I don't roast a whole one since it's just me, but on occasion I do buy a rotisserie chicken in the grocery store. Well, after making this super easy roast chicken, I'm never going back to the plain rotisserie chicken.

Back in 2007 I got my copy of Fine Cooking and was mesmerized by the recipe that had you make two roast chickens - one for tonight, one to use for other meals later in the week. But, again, since it is just me, I just made the one. Adjust the salt to your taste, and make sure to give the chicken time to sit and marinade. I only had about 30 minutes for my chicken before I put it in the oven, but it still turned out fantastic. I can only imagine what giving it another 4 to 24 hours would do.

Ingredients:
5 lb whole chicken - giblets and excess fat removed

1 medium lemon
1/2 to 1 tbs kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary
2 tbs butter, melted

Pat the chicken dry and set in a roasting pan with a wire rack beneath the chicken.

Finely grate the lemon zest onto a board. Add on top the rosemary, salt and pepper. Chop up the rosemary mixture until the rosemary is very fine. By doing this with the salt you are helping to release oils from the lemon and rosemary and blending the flavors together.

Sprinkle the chicken all over (thighs and breasts) with the salt mixture, both inside and out, and between the skin by making a small hole above the cavity and gently using your fingers, separate the skin from the meat. Cut the lemon in quarters - stuffing 2 to 3 sections into the cavity of the bird. Refrigerate at least 4 to 24 hours.

About 30 minutes before you are ready to cook, setting the rack in the middle of the oven, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Take the chicken out of the refrigerator and brush with melted butter. Let the chicken sit at room temp while the oven preheats. Give the oven the full 30 minutes to heat up. The chicken will roast better if the meat warms up, and your oven will be screaming hot which also helps the roasting process.

Roast the chicken until the breasts are nicely browned, about 1 hour. Gently flip the chicken (I know... odd, but worth it) using tongs to flip the bird on the sides. By flipping the chicken you will seal in all of the juice in the breasts and finish cooking the thighs faster. Roast the chicken upside down until a thermometer inserted in to the thickets part of the thigh reads 165 to 170 degrees, about 20 minutes more. Let rest on a board (breast side up) for 5 minutes or more, tenting with tin foil. Carve and enjoy!

*Notes - for a smaller chicken (4 lbs) I would suggest cooking for 40 minutes, then 20 minutes - but use the browned skin on the breast as your guide.

No comments: