Join me in love and laughter, adventure and disaster on the road to perfect pie.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Blueberry Crumb Cake

'Tis the season for fresh berries!

I've never been a girl who can pick a favorite. Crisp and tart blueberries, sweet and sunshine filled strawberries, raspberries with their tiny orbs bursting in your mouth with each bite... really, why choose when there is so much to enjoy.

This week happened to be a blueberry week. And as sometimes happens, I overestimate how many berries one person can reasonably eat. So, a recipe searching I go.

This recipe comes from The Boston Globe's recipe box. I'm a frequent recipe reader, but not often recipe maker from the newspaper. Not that I've ever been disappointed mind you, just that since I read online, the recipe isn't floating on a scrap of paper near the kitchen reminding me that I wanted to try something new. But after seeing how easy this would be to make, I had to give it a try. You should too.

Ingredients:
Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold butter, cut up

Cake:
Butter & Flour for the pan (or a nonstick baking spray such as Pam)
2 cups fresh blueberries, picked over
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk (whole or low fat) at room temperature

For the Topping:
In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter.
Work the mixture with your fingertips until well blended; refrigerate.

For the Cake:
Set the oven at 375 degrees. Butter an 8-inch-square metal baking pan. Dust the pan with flour, tapping out the excess.

In a bowl, toss the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of the flour.

In another bowl, whisk the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt to blend them.

In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until soft and light. Beat in the egg and vanilla until soft and light. With the mixer set to its lowest speed, blend in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with flour. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand. With a rubber spatula, fold in blueberries.

Transfer the batter to the pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the topping over the cake.

Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is brown.

Serve after the cake has cooled. Will keep for several days (if you can get it to last that long).

Enjoy!

No comments: