Join me in love and laughter, adventure and disaster on the road to perfect pie.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Surprise! Muffins - Apple Banana Oatmeal

Maybe this is a muffin blog... or maybe I just need to buy less bananas. Or just eat the bananas when I buy them.

But, duty calls for a team meeting, and after making these muffins over the weekend, a couple of tweaks is all I needed to make these and bring in to share.

I wanted to add some texture with pieces of banana and apple - with some cinnamon added of course.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cup rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs
5 1/2 tbs butter, melted
1/2 cup half and half
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium, very ripe)
1 banana, halved and cut into pieces
1 apple, cut into small pieces

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Spray or line a 12 cup muffin tin and set aside.

Melt the butter in a medium size bowl (or Tupperware as I usually do).

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, making a well at the bottom.

Beat the eggs in a small bowl and set aside. Mash the bananas in the bowl with the butter. Stir in the half and half and vanilla. Mix in the eggs and then stir in the apple and banana chunks.

Fold in the wet ingredients with the dry just until mixed. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin - the batter will fill the cup.

Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until just brown on the top. If you are feeling like an extra treat, melt some additional butter and drizzle on top when the muffins come out of the oven.

Enjoy!

No comments: