Join me in love and laughter, adventure and disaster on the road to perfect pie.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Cake


I know, I know. It's August. Time to move on to another garden fruit or veggie - but I've got one more, and you shouldn't miss it. This recipe came from a coworker. When she inquired about what I had done with the zucchini she had given me she said "you want to bake? I've got something for you." And wow. Just wow. It's so sinful, but you can pretend that it is good for you :) Just try to only have one slice.

Ingredients

Cake:
1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 lg eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. cocoa powder
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. grated zucchini
1 c. chocolate chips
3/4 c. chopped walnuts (optional - I don't add them)

Frosting:
8 oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
1 lb. box of confectioners sugar
1 stick of butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. cocoa

Beat butter, oil, sugar together in a bowl. Add eggs one at a time.

Add in the buttermilk and vanilla, beat.

Slowly add cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, spices and salt in three additions. Stir together.

Stir in the zucchini, chocolate chips and walnuts.

Pour the batter into two well greased 9 inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and remove from pans to cool on the rack.

Add frosting ingredients into a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.

Frost and enjoy!

No comments: