I look back at parts of my life and know they are all the more memorable from the music playing at the time. I think about the summer that Emily dated Justin down in Barre and we would drive out there in her Saab playing Hootie and the Blowfish (specifically the very beginning - With a little love; and some tenderness...). And then Silverchair on the way home. I can still here it, over and over again. As loud as the radio would play it. I saw a photo today of some friends from High School and immediately was reminded that the guy, Matt, would love to play Low Rider when we all hung out. I think back to the songs that were stuck in my head for most of my swimming career and it is like I am getting ready for a race.
Music has always been a part of my life. Even if I didn't realize it.
I used to wake up in high school to Pearl Jam (Once), my mom sung such oldies as In the Year 2525 on the way to afternoon swim practice, we would sing America and Seals and Crofts in the car when going out to Ohio or to the Shore. In New Orleans before I left for work I played Seven Nation Army to pump myself up. I stop what ever I'm doing to listen when On The Turning Away comes on - probably my all time favorite Pink Floyd song...
I'm hooked on Frou Frou these days. I can't get enough of Let Go.
Earlier today I commented that music couldn't change your life. Maybe that is true. I've never sought music out. I've been lucky enough to surround myself with people who are into music and I get to experience it through them. I've become somewhat of a reluctant fan of Kenny Chesney thanks to Mike and Emily. They introduced me to OAR and even Michael Buble. My mom and dad didn't let me listen to "popular" music of the 80's until about 1986. Weren't the Moody Blues and The Dead and Steely Dan and all of classic rock popular still? I had Shannon in college introduce me to Jazz and Miles Davis and BB King and 2 Pac and Biggy and Faith Evans and the entire world of rap. I have Shona introducing great hip hop (and even some dance moves) and pop with even some Snow Patrol sprinkled in before they ever got big.
Who knows what is next. Who knows what song I'll need to cheer me up, provide dancing inspiration or just listen to for a long car ride to Vermont. There is always something new just around the corner that you never know. I can't wait to hear it.
Join me in love and laughter, adventure and disaster on the road to perfect pie.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment